Friday, June 21, 2013

Isaiah 50 - Set Your Face Like Flint

Included in today's reading is one of the various descriptions or prophecies of the suffering servant, who is Jesus the Christ. It is found in verses 4 thru 9 and is generally one of the readings that is used on Passion Sunday as we begin our journeys through Holy Week and to the cross and ultimately the resurrection.

"The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue,
to know the word that sustains the weary.
He wakens me morning by morning,
wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed.

The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears;
I have not been rebellious,
I have not turned away.
I offered my back to those who beat me,
my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;
I did not hide my face
from mocking and spitting.
Because the Sovereign Lord helps me,
I will not be disgraced.
Therefore have I set my face like flint,
and I know I will not be put to shame.

He who vindicates me is near.
Who then will bring charges against me?
Let us face each other!
Who is my accuser?
Let him confront me!
It is the Sovereign Lord who helps me.
Who will condemn me?
They will all wear out like a garment;
the moths will eat them up." (Isa 50:4-9 NIV)

Jesus did not turn his back on us, rather he offered it to those who would beat him, even us. He was willing to suffer at the hands of those whom he would save, for our own sake. He set his face like a flint, knowing that in the eyes of our Father, he would not be put to shame. Humankind might laugh and taunt him, but God, our Father and the Spirit, will bring him through it all. He will not be shamed. He will live! And.... He does! He is Risen! He lives!

Setting his face like flint... interesting concept. Lately, I have noticed that I have been intentionally trying to wipe the flint-like attitude off my face. There are days when I am way too serious, probably because I am way too tired of witnessing people that are following in a way that has nothing to do with "The Way" that Jesus set before us. We do have freedom to choose to reject "The Way." But, if you've done that, admit it. Don't pretend. It deceives others. Pretending is just another word for lie. Don't pretend that you are a follower of Christ, if you are going off on your own path. The path which Jesus journeyed led to a cross. It led to death and ultimately eternal life. Want life? Then, expect death - death to yourself - death to your own ego and live for and in Christ.  This last Sunday we heard one of my favorite scripture verses:  "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Gal 2:20) In order for Christ to abide in you, there has to be some room in there. Let the ego go...

Jesus suffered and died for you, for us. In the face of mockery, false accusations, and even death on the cross, Jesus set his face like flint. He was quite resolute in following the plan of God to die for our sins. Yet, we, sometimes, seem quite resolute in insisting that his death was in vain by rejecting Jesus' sacrifice for us, by setting our faces like flint, refusing to follow in "The Way."

God has not divorced you; rather, He has done everything to reconcile you to Him. If your face is going to be set like flint; let it be resolute in being reconciled to God our Father, through the blood of Jesus Christ, by the power of the Holy Spirit.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: