Thursday, June 20, 2013

Isaiah 49 - Can A Mother Forget Her Child?

“Can a mother forget the baby at her breast
and have no compassion on the child she has borne?
Though she may forget,
I will not forget you!
See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
your walls are ever before me. (Isa 49:15, 16 NIV)

Most of us cannot even begin to consider that we might forget our children. However, the sad reality is that there are many mothers who do. There are many mothers who prefer not to have children and live as though they don't. Once, again, I consider that the court systems in this country still tend to give preferential treatment to mothers over the fathers. And... if and when the courts do grant a greater proportion of the custody of a child to a father or other person due to gross neglect or abuse by the mother, society tends to want to say that the courts were unfair - that they should never take a mother's children away from her. They need her. What they really need is a mother who will love them. She will love them as God loves her. She will put their lives before her own even as God was willing, in Christ Jesus, to give his life for us.

Isaiah 49 was read by me often when my own children were teen-agers and beginning to stretch their wings beyond what was good for them. Those years are long gone and I had almost forgotten the reassurance they gave me. Now, that I have grandchildren hitting those teen years, I suspect I should probably be reaquainting myself with these verses:

"Your children hasten back,
and those who laid you waste depart from you.
Lift up your eyes and look around;
all your children gather and come to you.
As surely as I live,” declares the Lord,
“you will wear them all as ornaments;
you will put them on, like a bride.


“Though you were ruined and made desolate
and your land laid waste,
now you will be too small for your people,
and those who devoured you will be far away.
The children born during your bereavement
will yet say in your hearing,
‘This place is too small for us;
give us more space to live in.’
Then you will say in your heart,
‘Who bore me these?
I was bereaved and barren;
I was exiled and rejected.
Who brought these up?
I was left all alone,
but these—where have they come from?’”" (Isa 49:17-21)
 
God's Peace - Pr. J  

No comments: