Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Jeremiah 16 - The Warning Relevant For Today?

I am thinking that the LORD sure gave Israel a lot of warning and time to repent before He sent them into exile and captivity in Babylon. He warned them and warned them that the worship of their false gods was going to have some consequences. But, they did not listen to His promise of destruction through Jeremiah. They simply did not understand that they were bringing a curse upon the land and that God knew every one of their actions. There was nothing done in secret that God could not see. He saw it all. He sees it all, even today.

The consequences were going to be bad. Don't bother marrying or having children in that time, they are warned, for your children will die of deadly diseases in the land that you are being exiled to. There will be no joy or gladness in those days.

All had turned away from God. All had done what was evil in His sight. Therefore, the LORD promises to bring them back to Himself. 

“Therefore I will teach them—
    this time I will teach them
    my power and might.
Then they will know
    that my name is the Lord." (Jer 16:21)

But, there is hope even in this dire warning. There will be a day as they live in captivity that they will learn to turn to the LORD and they will say: "Lord, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in time of distress..." (Jer 16:19) And.. the LORD will restore them to the land which He had driven them from. The LORD will have mercy upon His children who had strayed and desired to be returned to the land (the kingdom) that He had promised them.

Every now and then a few members of my congregation mention that they would like me to try to make the scriptures sound more relevant for today, use a few more personal, timely examples. And... I think, I should probably not go there, by using clear examples. I'm thinking that if I narrow it down more than scripture already has it becomes to easy for everyone to point the finger at someone else. I believe that the exhortations of the LORD through Jeremiah to stop worshipping false idols and turn to the LORD is already quite relevant for today. If we are honest with ourselves, we should be able to see quite clearly the examples in our own lives and the trouble that we are bringing upon ourselves as we seek to serve other gods and to build up little kingdoms of our own. Seek first the kingdom of God... Seek the land that He has promised and care for that land, before you find yourself exiled in a land that holds you in captivity.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: