Monday, July 15, 2013

Jeremiah 8 - Wounded Souls

For a few moments, I thought I read the wrong lesson a couple of days ago when I wrote on chapter six. Chapter eight repeats the same ideas - lots of trouble for those who have fallen away and rejected the word of the LORD. There are lots of troubles for those who declare that all is well, declaring peace; when there is no peace; when are so many problems to be addressed.

"They dress the wound of my people
    as though it were not serious.
“Peace, peace,” they say,
    when there is no peace.
Are they ashamed of their detestable conduct?
    No, they have no shame at all;
    they do not even know how to blush.
So they will fall among the fallen;
    they will be brought down when they are punished,

       says the Lord." (Jer 8:11-12 NIV)

It reminds me so much of many of our leaders today. They like to come up with new laws on top of old laws. They try to "fix" things and they end up making things even worse. They can't fix things; because, they simply do not know the word of the LORD and they're trying to fix stuff that they have no real knowledge of. They try to fix stuff for the people when they have no heart for the people. Their hearts appear to be only for themselves. Every now and then, I will send a letter to a congressman or senator imploring them to think about what they are doing regarding specific legislation. The usual response is a letter written by someone else from their offices which really has nothing to do with my initial inquiry or comments. It appears to me that they really do not understand what it's like in the world outside of politics. Consequently, there is a lot of talk about how well things are going - that there is peace - when there is no peace. They have disassociated themselves from the problems and the very real pain of the people. Unlike the LORD, who, through Jeremiah, relates to the wounds of His people.

"Since my people are crushed, I am crushed;
    I mourn, and horror grips me.
Is there no balm in Gilead?
    Is there no physician there?
Why then is there no healing

    for the wound of my people?" (Jer 8:21-22)

Turn to the LORD, heed His Word, who is Jesus the Christ. He is the balm in Gilead that can heal the wounded souls of the world.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: