Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Jeremiah 23 - Speaking Without Integrity

It is going to be one of those very busy weeks. Last night as I had begun working on one of the four sermons I have yet to prepare, my granddaughter, Cassie, was cleaning the house. She even dusted a few pictures! On the window ledge in my office is a framed quote given me by my friend, Jennifer Lynn, at my ordination. It says: "Comfort the Disturbed. Disturb the Comfortable." Cassie wanted to know what it meant. I told her it was my job description.

"Well, what does that mean?" she asked.

"It means," I told her, "that when someone is hurting or troubled, I am to comfort them with the Good News of Jesus the Christ. And... when someone becomes too comfortable in themselves and are busy hurting or troubling others to make themselves feel good about themselves, then I am to disturb them a bit by confronting their ways. Kind of like when you start doing things that are not good for you or anyone else, I have to confront you about it."

I continued by telling her that the saying actually comes from a newspaper writer (Finley Peter Dunne), who used these words, "comforts th' afflicted, afflicts th' comfortable" to describe, in part, a newsperson's job description. It means we are to speak with integrity and that means comforting those who need comforting and sometimes speaking to those who are a little too comfortable with their sins about it.

"Oh," was the only reply I got from Cassie before she went on cleaning.

One of my pet peeves is what I call "speaking without integrity." Makes me a little crazy when young people do it. Makes me even crazier when adults do! That is twisting or exaggerating stories so no one gets to hear the real truth, the whole truth. Often it is done so that the speaker looks a little more innocent than they actually might be and someone else looks worse.

Cassie's dad simply refers to "speaking without integrity" as "too much drama." Twisted stories and half truths cause a lot of problems, a lot of drama, not just for people around them, but for the speakers, themselves. When too much drama caused by speaking without integrity enters the picture that is usually when I end throwing a rock into the pond and disturb the too comfortable.

There were many prophets in Jeremiah's day (as there is today) that spoke without integrity. They did not speak the truth. They twisted God's message to the people to please themselves as well as the people. The LORD speaks through Jeremiah warning them to quit twisting the word of God to make themselves more appealing to the people. Speak the truth. Speaking the truth might get you persecuted; people really may not want to hear the truth; but, it is better to speak the truth than to lie in God's Name. It is better to keep your lips still than to speak without integrity. It is better for all who would speak the lies and it is better for all who would listen to stand on the word of God rather than appease the itching ears. Families, communities, even entire kingdoms will fall for the lack of the truth.

But, for those who will hear the truth, there is Good News, indeed! We have a Good Shepherd who will guide us in all truth; who will guide us in His way. Thanks be to God for Jesus Christ, our LORD! Listen to Him and follow!

God's Peace - Pr. J
 

No comments: