Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Jeremiah 2 - Return To The LORD

For those of you who have been reading the Bible daily along with this blog, you probably recognize the message of the LORD through Jeremiah. It appears to be pretty predominant in our readings.
 
Return to the LORD and get rid of your false idols! They are worthless!

The LORD says through Jeremiah:
"Has a nation ever changed its gods?
    (Yet they are not gods at all.)
But my people have exchanged their glorious God
    for worthless idols.
Be appalled at this, you heavens,
    and shudder with great horror,”
declares the Lord.
“My people have committed two sins:
They have forsaken me,
    the spring of living water,
and have dug their own cisterns,
    
    broken cisterns that cannot hold water." (Jer 2:11-13 NIV)

The water of life is free to all who would receive it, yet we would rather dig our own muddy pits to quench our thirst. Muddy pits never quench the thirst of anyone. So why would we turn to the work of our own hands, the worthless "unwork" of false idols? Why would we sabotage ourselves in this way?

It is such a sad state that we have become our own worst false gods. In this day of everything is about me and for me.... me... me... me... We have deceived ourselves into thinking that we can take care of our own wants and worship God as we lay around on our couches or whatever it is that gives us momentary pleasure and self-reward and that this is not sin. 

The Word of the LORD according to Jeremiah 2:31-35

"“You of this generation, consider the word of the Lord:
“Have I been a desert to Israel
    or a land of great darkness?
Why do my people say, ‘We are free to roam;
    we will come to you no more’?
Does a young woman forget her jewelry,
    a bride her wedding ornaments?
Yet my people have forgotten me,
    days without number.
How skilled you are at pursuing love!
    Even the worst of women can learn from your ways.
On your clothes is found
    the lifeblood of the innocent poor,
    though you did not catch them breaking in.
Yet in spite of all this
    you say, ‘I am innocent;
    he is not angry with me.’
But I will pass judgment on you
    because you say, ‘I have not sinned.’"

Indeed, how many who say they worship the one true and Almighty God would forget their jewelry, yet they forget to give God glory and honor! They forget to worship the One who gave His very life  that we might drink from the waters of life, eat from the tree of life. And, in all this they are arrogant enough to say that it is not a sin.

Return to the LORD and destroy the false images that you worship. They will do nothing for you! They can do nothing! They are worthless! But, the One who can and has, loves you enough to save you by dying for you.

There is just so much more to meditate upon in this second of chapter two of Jeremiah; please don't neglect to read it.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: