Thursday, January 30, 2014

Matthew 16 - The Cross and The Kingdom

I have run into a slight problem in the New Testament. There is so much to consider in each chapter, that I can't possibly cover everything in a blog post! So, I have resorted to choosing my personal favorite verses.

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?'" (Matt 16:24-26 NIV)

Take up your cross and follow Jesus! What does this mean? Where exactly did Jesus lead us? He took up his cross, forsaking his own life, that other's might live. He took up his cross and died. He went to the grave. But, the grave could not hold him. He lives and he reigns in the Kingdom of Heaven. This is what Jesus calls us to: cross-bearing self-sacrifice, death, and ultimately the Kingdom of God.

I was greatly surprised at some of the comments at our Bible Study on Wednesday. It showed me that ears have been open to hearing the proclamation of this Kingdom. The greatest concern that I heard was that we should live in God's presence in His Kingdom, even today. The fear of death was not an issue for those at the study; rather, the concern was and is how can we live more fully in God's presence, following in the footsteps of Jesus today. The question was asked how can we have the faith needed to experience God in our lives, present every minute of every day, in this world? We discussed faith and baptism extensively. Ultimately the answer to the questions: how can we believe; how can we follow; how can we live in His Kingdom today was: "ask." "Ask and you will receive." (John 16-24) Martin Luther wrote in the Small Catechism on the third Article of the Apostle's Creed: "I believe that by own reason or strength I cannot believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to him. But the Holy Spirit has called me through the Gospel, enlightened me with his gifts, and sanctified and preserved me in true faith, just as he calls, gathers, enlightens, sanctifies the whole Christian church on earth and preserves it in union with Jesus Christ in the one true faith."

Faith, the ability or strength to bear our crosses, life in the Kingdom of God; these are not things that we earn on our own or even choose to do. They are all gifts from God. Thanks be to God!

God's Peace - Pr. J

P.S.  If you want to know more about the cross-bearing life or the Kingdom of God that is at hand, join us in Bible Study at Zion. It does not matter what book or chapter we're studying; you will almost always find us discussing the Cross and the Kingdom.

No comments: