Monday, January 6, 2014

Zechariah 10 - Vacations

I have been on vacation for almost two weeks and I admit it has made me to feel guilty. I have thought, more than once, about passages like the following from Zechariah.

“My anger burns against the shepherds,
    and I will punish the leaders;
for the Lord Almighty will care
    for his flock, the people of Judah,
    and make them like a proud horse in battle." (Zech 10:3 NIV)

I did not go anywhere. Basically, the vacation time was there so I am using it before the year runs out. I have done more than a few visits during this time and have been working on the annual report and statistics at home. I have spent a lot of time in prayer. Yet, there have been moments when I felt I should have, could have, been using the time that God has given me more wisely, more fruitfully.

Ministry, for me, has always been something other than a job. It is a calling. It is a way of life. I know from experience that pastors (I) need time away; time to be alone with God; time to be able to talk to Him; time to be able to really listen to Him; time to be renewed and refreshed. But, I also know that the suffering of the people does not stop when we (I) take vacations. So when trouble happens in the congregation and community; while I am resting; I grieve that I was not there. I find consolation only in the knowledge that the LORD is with us. He is with you (and me) and it is He who will care for His flock when I fall short. The Lord will strengthen us and in His Name we will live securely. (vs 12)

So pray for me and pray for all of our shepherds; that the LORD will strengthen us even as He will forgive our human weakness.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: