Sunday, January 19, 2014

Matthew 5 - Sermon on the Mount; Two-edged Sword

Chapter five of Matthew begins the "Sermon on the Mount," the most awesome sermon ever, at least in my humble opinion! I usually deliver this sermon in its entirety at least once a year. Although, many see it as pure gospel, I hear it as a prime example of the two-edged sword. Depending where you are in your journey, you might hear it as good news or you might hear it as law.

I know that there are a few out there who would dispute that the "Sermon on the Mount" is both law and gospel so let me give you an example of how I have come to this conclusion.

The first time I proclaimed these words in their entirety for a sermon. I was up on a mountain, working at a youth correctional facility. I did not edit. I did not do or say anything else. I did not try to elaborate on it's meaning. I simply stood up and gave the "Sermon on the Mount" and then I sat down. I was reported the next day, by a young man, for telling him that he and his mother were going to hell. I did no such thing! The word of God - which is a two-edged sword both convicts and it heals, according to what God feels is the need of the people.

Where are you, today? Does this sermon of Jesus' bring you conviction or hope?

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: