Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Zechariah 11 - Covenant and Unity

     "So I shepherded the flock marked for slaughter, particularly the oppressed of the flock. Then I took two staffs and called one Favor and the other Union, and I shepherded the flock. In one month I got rid of the three shepherds.
     The flock detested me, and I grew weary of them and said, “I will not be your shepherd. Let the dying die, and the perishing perish. Let those who are left eat one another’s flesh.”
     Then I took my staff called Favor and broke it, revoking the covenant I had made with all the nations. It was revoked on that day, and so the oppressed of the flock who were watching me knew it was the word of the Lord.
     I told them, “If you think it best, give me my pay; but if not, keep it.” So they paid me thirty pieces of silver.
     And the Lord said to me, “Throw it to the potter”—the handsome price at which they valued me! So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them to the potter at the house of the Lord.
     Then I broke my second staff called Union, breaking the family bond between Judah and Israel." (Zech 11:7-14 NIV)


The two staffs of a shepherd: one to help steer the flock in the way they should go; the other with a crook in it so that they may be pulled to safety when they venture too close to danger. Zechariah sees a vision of these two staffs. One is called Favor and the other Union. They are broken. God's word is that the favor He has given to the people in His covenant with them; as well as the unity between Judah and Israel will be broken. The LORD's warning is that He will no longer be their shepherd. He will leave them to the worthless shepherd who has no heart for the people or for God.

The Good News, though, can be found in the thirty pieces of silver. This is the price that Judas was paid for betraying Jesus the Christ and it was with this money that the field where Judas committed suicide was purchased. This may not be good news for Judas; but, it is for us. For without the betrayal; without the death and the ultimate resurrection and ascension of Jesus, we would have no hope of entering into the Kingdom that has indeed been prepared for us. Even as God promised to break the covenant He had with the people, when He broke the two staffs of Favor and Unity; He has given us a new covenant. This new covenant is for the unity of all people in His Kingdom through the blood of Jesus the Christ.


Ultimately, God provided a Shepherd who can and will guide us in the way we are to go. He will keep us safe within the flock - united with God and with one another.


God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: