Friday, January 17, 2014

Matthew 3 - Brood of Vipers; God's Children

John the Baptist is one of my favorite characters. Can you imagine if I went around saying to people, "...You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? Produce fruit in keeping with repentance..." (Matt 3:7-8 NIV) Well, actually I do say things similar to this at times, I just don't recall actually calling anyone a viper. Oops, I take that back, too. I do recall an occasion or two when I've let someone know that they were acting like a snake.

Here is John, baptizing with water for repentance and along comes Jesus, the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire, to be baptized by John.
     "But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
     Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.
     As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” (Matt 3:14-17)

Anointed by the Spirit of God at baptism, we hear from that same Spirit, that same God, welcome us into His family with these reconciling words, "You are my beloved child, with whom I am well pleased."

A brood of vipers, we are. Yet, by His grace, we are His children.

God's Peace - Pr. J 

No comments: