Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Mark 1:1-8 John The Baptist

The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God, as it is written in Isaiah the prophet:
“I will send my messenger ahead of you,
    who will prepare your way”—
 “a voice of one calling in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the Lord,
    make straight paths for him.’” (Mark 1:1-8 NIV)

We begin the Gospel according to St. Mark with "The beginning of the good news about Jesus..." The messenger is Jesus' cousin John. John the Baptist is one of my favorite characters. I often wonder what would happen; how everyone would react, to a character like him in their community today. A man wandering around in the wilderness; dressed in camel's hair; eating locusts and wild honey; ever reminding people to repent. I'm pretty sure he'd be avoided in most communities. But, in that time, he; apparently, had crowds coming to be cleansed of their sins through repentance and water baptism.

I often wonder how people would react to me, if my approach to the good news were more like that of John the Baptist. Would anyone listen? But, on the other hand, do they now? There are times when I feel quite sure that eyes do not see nor do ears hear. But, then I also know the word of the LORD and am confident that "...faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ." (Rom 10:17) As long as we keep preaching the good news about Jesus;  people will hear and they will receive faith in the Messiah, the Son of God. It may not be as quickly as we (I) would like. It will be in God's time. Faith will come.

God calls us all to be messengers of His love through Jesus Christ, our LORD.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: