Thursday, February 20, 2014

Matthew 26:36-46 - Pray One Hour

  Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”
  Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
  Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter. “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” (Matt 26:36-41 NIV)

We were having a prayer vigil. Individuals and families volunteered to come to the sanctuary to pray for one hour during the hours beginning right after the Maundy Thursday Service until the Good Friday Service. I had volunteered for three hours, from 3 a.m. until 6 a.m., as I lived right next door and I thought it would be easier for me than others who would have to drive to the church at such early hours. I began my hours praying, kneeling in front of the altar, next to the baptismal font. I was awakened by the couple, who was to follow me, to find them kneeling and praying at the altar. They had come in quietly and didn't want to disturb me. I had fallen asleep, on my knees, leaning against the baptismal font. Every Maundy Thursday, I recall this time. Apparently, it is not only those first disciples who cannot keep watch, stay awake, and pray for "one hour."

The spirit is willing, but so often the flesh is weak.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: