Saturday, February 15, 2014

Matthew 25 - Unprepared Virgins

“At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish and five were wise. The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps." (Matt 25:1-4 NIV) 

I have occasionally been accused of worrying too much. What they should understand about me is that all my busyness is not due to worry; it is what I consider being prepared. If I am going to a meeting, I like to have everything that I might need, copied and organized, ready to go and in my bag, at least the night before. Trips to town actually include a plan in my head on where I need to go, in which order, and what I need to bring with me to accomplish the most in the least amount of time. I contact family members in town, just to check if there is anything they need or want from out here or from any of the places I will stop before I see them. That is to avoid having to go back to the same shop on errands for someone else. I do get a little flustered when I finish my errands and I get a text asking me to take care of something at a place that I just left. I really like organization. It's not worry. It is preparation. I just don't like missing opportunities (doors that might be open) to live life. Can you imagine missing out on the opportunity to live and enjoy life in His Kingdom, in His presence? I'd rather not entertain that possibility and so it behooves me to try to do all that I can to be prepared; not suffering my light to go out; but, allowing the light to shine in and through me.

Five of the virgins were wise and prepared for the bridegroom to come and take them to the wedding feast. Five were not. They did not take enough oil with them, in the case that the bridegroom would be delayed. They had to go and purchase oil at the eleventh hour. When they returned they found that the bridegroom had come for those who had been prepared. They tried to gain admittance to the wedding banquet; but, it was too late. The door was shut.

Are you prepared? Are you ready for the Lord to come and take you to be with Him at the great wedding feast? We can never know all that the Lord has in store for us. Therefore, be prepared for all the glorious possibilities and "...keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour." (Matt 25:13)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: