Monday, February 10, 2014

Matthew 22:23-33 - Married To Man Or To The Lamb

We have today one of my many favorite scripture readings.

First, we need to make note that the Sadducees were once again testing Jesus as they did not believe in the resurrection of the dead. I understand that is why they were "sad, you see?" (sorry, couldn't resist temptation)

Secondly, I have never quite figured out how this desire to be reunited with our family after death has become such a priority in our concept of the Kingdom of God. I imagine that this imaginary widow may have (or may not have) loved at least one or more of these seven brothers. She may (or may not have) genuinely grieved the loss of every one one of them. My personal desire is to be reconciled to God first and then all my brothers and sisters in Christ. As, I have said, on many occasions previously. "There is a blood that is thicker than blood. It is the blood of Christ shed for you." All who believe will be and are united with God and with one another in the Kingdom of God.

Years ago, I studied with a certain Christian sect. They were pretty insistent that in the New World we would live with our families. I just could never figure out which family that was. I would live in the same house with my husband and children, my husband's parents and their children and their children; as well as my sisters and their children and their multiple husbands' parents and all of their brothers and sisters and children. Families could get quite large and I could just never figure the point of it all. Sounds just a might carnal for a spiritual kingdom to me. But, that's just me. I'm thinking that maybe (just maybe) in the Kingdom of Heaven we will find amazing joy and the peace that surpasses all understanding; as we find ourselves in the presence of God.

The marriage I am looking for in the Kingdom is found in Revelation 19:9: "Then the angel said to me, 'Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!' And he added, 'These are the true words of God.'"

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: