Sunday, February 2, 2014

Matthew 18 - Visiting Sheep

“What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish." (Matthew 18:10-14 NIV)

On a pretty regular basis, I am out and about checking in on sheep who may or may not have wandered or maybe have never been shown the gate into the sheepfold. Shepherds do that. They seek the lost sheep. I am pretty fortunate in serving a congregation, who for the most part, understands this. They don't question who I've been visiting because over the years they've seen the sheep enter into the fold. In fact, they may have been one of them that was welcomed with open arms, like a long-lost friend, or as a prodigal son, as one of the members (who is much older than I) calls me, "mother." He knows that like a shepherd or a mother, even when I am not visiting him, I am always on the alert that nothing should happen to him. That's just the way it is with shepherds and parents. We are concerned that none should be harmed - none should be lost.

I have been in this community for a little over 15 years. I know just about everyone in the county. Every now and then God will put it in my heart to visit someone who is an acquaintance - someone I know through others - but, don't really know them. I have never regretted making those visits. I don't usually call ahead. I just stop and knock. Doors have been opened and I have always found them anxious for the company. Sometimes, they have been waiting for a word of hope. Other times they needed comfort or encouragement. Sometimes, they just needed someone to listen. Visiting others can be an amazing adventure. One never knows what one will encounter when you knock on someone's door. I have shoveled sidewalks, made coffee, washed dishes, cooked for them in their homes. I have found them on the floor. I have stayed beside them and held them for hours as they suffered through symptoms of withdrawal. I have found them abused and neglected. One just never knows what one will encounter when you knock on a door. Once you step outside those church doors, you can never know what doors will be opened to you or how many lost sheep you will encounter. (Course there are also a few lost sheep within the "church" as well - not to be neglected)

I would ask those of you who would have their pastors in their offices daily and serving only the "members" of that particular congregation rather than out seeking the lost sheep to please reconsider. The "church" that exists only for themselves and is not out seeking and serving the sheep outside the fold is really not a church. It is a social club.

Our Father is not willing that any of these little ones should perish.

God's Peace - Pr. J
P.S. I call this evangelism and it is not my "job." It is what the abiding Christ does through all of us. It is a way of life. It is who we are.

No comments: