Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Matthew 21:1-11 - Save Us, We Pray

“Hosanna to the Son of David!”
“Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”
“Hosanna in the highest heaven!” (Matt 21:9 NIV)

As I was reading this morning's scripture verses, I wondered what exactly the word Hosanna meant. I know that it is used by us and was used by the people in the story of Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem as a shout of acclamation and praise. But, what does the word actually mean? So, I googled. The definitions included pray and save, which didn't help me much. That just didn't seem to fit in to the context of the acclamations of praise. I finally ran across this [Old English osanna, via Late Latin from Greek, from Hebrew hōshi `āh nnā save now, we pray] at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hosanna . This ordering of words helped me to understand the word, hosanna, a bit better. "Save now, we pray, Son of David! Save now, we pray, in the highest heaven."

It was within the week that Jesus accomplished this life giving, life giving act of salvation that they people prayed for. It was within that very week that Jesus died for us.

May the God of peace, save us we pray, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: