Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Matthew 26:31-35 - Will You Deny Jesus?

Then Jesus told them, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:
“‘I will strike the shepherd,
    and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’
But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”
Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”
“Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”
But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same. (Matt 26:31-35 NIV)

The Lord knows that Peter is not going to keep this promise. In fear for his own safety, Peter will deny him thrice that very night. Even today people around the world are persecuted; are threatened with torture and even death for His sake. We may wonder how Peter, who knew Jesus so intimately, could desert him? But, what about us? Jesus died for us! He died that we might live! Would we deny him? Do we love the Lord enough to consider dying for his sake? Are we honestly able to declare "Even if I have die for Jesus' sake, I will never deny Him;" let alone keep that vow?

Consider too, this day, how it is that we might be denying him, not by just our words, but by what we have done and by what we have left undone.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: