Saturday, May 24, 2014

Luke 11:37-54

Luke 11:37-54 NIV
Woe to the Pharisees who heap law upon law; who hold to their traditions and have no real comprehension of justice or the love of God.

I am late writing this today as I spent the night at "the shack" in the town I grew up in so that I could get flowers on the graves. This is Memorial Day weekend and "fixing" the graves is somewhat of a tradition. I did not get to the graves of all my ancestors in the area this year; only about seventeen of them. I did not even know some of them as they died decades before I was born. I am not even sure where a couple of them are in the Paynesville Cemetery; except that they are under a lilac bush. The twins are in unmarked graves. A few years ago, I noticed that no one took care of them any longer, so I started to. It is a reminder to me that we are not islands in the midst of the sea. We are attached to the people around us, as well as those who have gone before us and those will come after us. We are a part of something much greater than ourselves. It is a reminder to me that because we are connected; we should live according to the love of God doing justice; not harm to those around us.

Woe to those who cannot show love or do justice to others.

God's Peace - Pr. J

P.S. No time to not serve, love, and do justice this weekend. One graveside funeral on Friday and five burials after worship tomorrow. Memorial Day weekend provides no less opportunities to love and do justice than any other day :)

No comments: