Monday, May 26, 2014

Luke 12:13-21 Serving Junk!

Luke 12:13-21 NIV
Last Friday, my husband, grandchildren, and I went out to gather wild mushrooms. We found a few bags full; enough for a few meals. This was a rare occasion. We got to do something that I enjoy doing, together. I was surprised. The grandkids loved it. Of course, that may be because the mushrooms, this year, were in abundance and they were real easy picking.

Usually, family outings mean shopping. They all love to spend money. I have never enjoyed shopping; but, if I want to do something with them, I usually get out-voted on what to do. No one cares for hiking or kayaking or visiting waterfalls just to take a few photos. Shopping or nothing. Well, that's not exactly correct. I do hear that they would like to go on cruises or to expensive waterparks (not the inexpensive "cheap" ones).

When I think back to all the money that was spent on stuff that wasn't needed or even wanted, it makes me a bit sad. So many hours spent working for stuff that made no difference to us or anyone else. I can no longer remember all of the cars we've owned, or living room sets. I definitely cannot remember how many computers we've purchased in our lives or even ATV's! Sooner or later, everything ends up in the junk pile. A lifetime working and serving junk!

“Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’
“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’
“This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.” (Luke 12:18-21 NIV)

Seek first the Kingdom of God....! (Matt 6:33)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: