Tuesday, December 6, 2011

All Glory Belongs to God

Deuteronomy 8


Do not say...  I worked hard for this.  By mine own hand I have earned it.  Rather, "remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, so that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your ancestors, as he is doing today."  (vs 18 NRSV)


And... some may wonder why I talk so much about giving honor and glory to God.  Some may wonder why I talk so much about caring for and using the good gifts that God has given us so that we might honor and glorify Him.  It is because it is written in the scriptures, over and over again.


There is never a day that I don't thank God for all that He has given me.  I know that I would not have my family, my home, my past experiences, my congregration; I would have none of them except for the hand of God.  I can look back, I remember where I have been and I can see clearly how His hand was at work in all areas of my life. 


As I read the warnings to Israel, I am reminded that these warning could well be for those of us who live in the U.S. as well.  We have been tremendously blessed in this country.  Unfortunately, with all the blessings, also comes the tendency to give ourselves, rather then God, the credit, the honor, glory.  So often the will of God is no longer heard, but only the desires of our own sinful hearts.  And...  I wonder how long it will be before God says "this is enough" and takes it all from us. 


There is always a lot of lip service given to how this land was founded on Christian principles and how important that is to us.  However, there seems to me to be more lip service than actual service to God.  I am not even sure if the majority of Christians even knows what being a Christian actually is, according to scriptures (this probably applies to a whole lot more countries than the U.S.)  Very few read their Bibles.  If you do not, how would you even know what it means to be a Christian? Because someone else who never reads or hears the Word of God told you?  Christianity has become enmashed with new age teachings in order to empower us, in order to make us feel better about ourselves.  For some reason it is easier and more appealing to read New Age or self-help material rather than the Holy Scriptures.  When we apply "New Age" teachings to what little we have gleaned from the Scriptures, it is no longer Christianity.  You are worshipping a false god.  If this land being founded on Christian principles were really as important to us as we claim, would we not immerse ourselves in studying Christian principles by reading our Bibles, would we not be more faithful in attending Worship to hear the Word of God, to receive Christ into our very beings through the Sacrament of Holy Communion?


God has given us these things (Word and Sacrament), not for His sake, but for ours; so that it may be well with us.  Do not say that I am a self-made man or woman.  All that I have is mine, I have worked hard for it.  It is God who has made you.  It is God who allows you to live well upon the earth.  It is God who gives you the opportunity to worship and serve Him.  All honor and glory belongs to God, not humankind.


When my sons were in their rebellious teen years, I remember on a few occasions when I would be about totally exasperated with their shenanigans and remind them:  "God gave you life, God can take it away."  I've mellowed since then.  Well, maybe not too much...  Remembering our scriptures (2 Peter 3:9-13 NRSV) from last Sunday: 


     "But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and everything that is done on it will be disclosed.
     Since all these things are to be dissolved in this way, what sort of persons ought you to be in leading lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set ablaze and dissolved, and the elements will melt with fire?  But, in accordance with his promise, we wait for new heavens and a new earth, where righteousness is at home."


May God help you to remember to give God the glory for all that He accomplishes through you this day.  May you be blessed with the knowledge that there is only one God and empowered to worship and serve only Him.     

No comments: