Monday, December 26, 2011

Trembling Hearts & Languishing Spirits

Deuteronomy 28

Deuteronomy 28 gives us more blessings and curses.  Blessings to those who follow the will of the LORD, curses for those who do not.  The curses seem to go on forever.  God's children who do not follow, will be removed from the promised land and scattered among people who do not believe, scattered among people who serve other gods and they will be led to serve them as well.  There will be no resting place for those who fall away.  They will have trembling hearts and a languishing spirit. 

I remember a young woman who came to me years ago and wanted to know more about this Jesus.  She and I had met at various funerals.  She remarked on the peace and even joy that Christians around her had as we commended our loved ones into the hands of God.  She wanted to know that peace that she saw in so many Christians even in the time of great trouble, great sorrow or mourning.  It is not that we do not grieve; for we surely do.  But, in the midst of the most troubling times, those who trust in the LORD are confident of His love for us.  We know that His promises not only will be fulfilled, but already have been fulfilled through Jesus Christ.  As one who follows Christ encounters sorrow and suffering, the trembling all but disappears.  We do not have to fear anything, not even death, for Christ is our LORD and King and is with us on every step of our journeys through life and death. 

As I look back on my own life, I am grateful that Jesus Christ blesses us with peace of heart and mind - with His peace.  There were so many times as a young adult when my life was so full of anxiousness, wondering how to handle situations, wondering how best to face the future.  Sadly some of those decisions regarding my future included having to make decisions to stay on the path that the LORD had set before me and that meant as others followed paths of other gods, I would not be seeing much of them, any longer.  We, as Christians, are sometimes accused of not being very inclusive.   But, what I have experienced was the exact opposite.  I found that there are many who are not Christian, who say they welcome all people, only welcome you if you will join them in following their personal false gods.  I am happy to walk with anyone and everyone, but do not insist that I worship your false gods.  For the sake of peace between us, do not keep throwing them in my face.  I will not worship them.  That I could not and cannot do.  So many anxious times in my youth... many of them had to do with the struggle to stay on the path that was laid before me.  But, today I remember what God has brought me through and I thank Him for I know that He will be with me all the days of my life and I will dwell in His presence, in the house of the LORD forever.   

At the risk of sounding like a decision theologian I remind you...  "Choose ye this day, whom you will serve..."  Joshua 24:15  Jesus calls you.  He has already chosen you.  Will you follow in his footsteps?  Will you accept his invitation to dwell in the house of the LORD forever?  To live in His peace?

As for me and my household we will serve the LORD.  My spirit rejoices in the Lord!  For He is with me always!  He is my Rock and my Salvation!  And I will dwell in His house forever!

No comments: