Saturday, December 10, 2011

God and God's Name

Deuteronomy 12

"But you are to seek the place the LORD your God will choose from among all your tribes to put his Name there for his dwelling. To that place you must go..."  (12:5 NIV)  Here we find something that I have found totally fascinating for years.  Every now and then I go back through scriptures and start searching and thinking about the sanctuary being God's habitation, by His putting His name there.  Some of the questions I ponder are:  Are God and His Name synonymous?  Does God dwell in the temple or just His Name or are they one and the same?  What was the temple or sanctuary then?  What is it now?  Lots of things to think about...  I can get lost in the scriptures for days on this one...

Here are just a few of the scriptures that might relate - there are a lot more...: 

The LORD said to him: “I have heard the prayer and plea you have made before me; I have consecrated this temple, which you have built, by putting my Name there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there.  1 Kings 9:3

But now I have chosen Jerusalem for my Name to be there, and I have chosen David to rule my people Israel.’  2 Chronicles 6:6

I have chosen and consecrated this temple so that my Name may be there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there.  2 Chronicles 7:16

And what about this angel of the LORD - how does His name abide in the angel?
Pay attention to him and listen to what he says. Do not rebel against him; he will not forgive your rebellion, since my Name is in him.  Exodus 23:21

And what about God's name being on the Israelites?
“So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them.”  Numbers 6:27

And how is it then, that the Body of Christ is the temple of God; how is it that God abides in us (members of the Body) through Jesus Christ?  Is it His Word; His Name; or the Spirit of God?  Are they all one and the same?  It is all a very great mystery...  The LORD, your God is one God...

Note for yesterday's chapter:  After I post in the mornings - I end up thinking about the lesson all day.  Yesterday, Chapter 11:20 "write them upon the door posts.." made me think to remind all of you in Skanee and Aura not to forget to be at Worship a bit early on New Year's Day.  At about 8:45 we will have a short service asking God to bless the sanctuary for another year by praying and writing 20 C M B 12 year - CMB standing for "Christus Manionem Benedicat" which means "May Christ bless this house," on the frame above the sanctuary door.  

No comments: