Monday, November 23, 2015

I Prefer To Seek The Lord's Presence

"One thing I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple." Psalm 27:4

I love professional football. Not! I understand that professional football is a national obsession. I do appreciate the opportunity a few young men find in being selected to play professional ball. How exciting for them and their families. But, I personally find professional football just a bit too materialistic. I have never really been able to figure out why people who are struggling to feed their families or make their mortgages would support an organization that charges so much to see a game. I am also a little nauseated by the news that all that patriotic support for  military members that they so often display is actually paid for by taxpayers. Yes, according to a PBS News Report, the government pays for these shows of patriotism. I am not against football; just the glorification of it and all the idolatry that goes with professional football. I do attend High School football games now and then in support of the youth who play. Instead of sitting on the couch and watching football; why not take your children or grandchildren outside and teach them the game?

But, the truth is that there is something that I really do appreciate about televised football. As my husband is intent on sitting in front of the television for hours watching a game, it affords me the opportunity to retreat to a quiet place and pray. Televised football games on Sunday afternoons gives me the opportunity to intentionally come into the Lord's presence, to seek His beauty, and to inquire of Him what He would have me to; in which direction I should go.

After all; does not desiring to live in the house of the Lord mean that we desire to live in His presence for all eternity; even today?

Let us seek to live always in His presence.

God's Peace - Pr. J
 

No comments: