Thursday, November 12, 2015

Patience

The internet was down when I woke up at 5 this morning. Rebooting the modem, the router, and the computer, itself, a few times did not help. I decided to finish the sermon I've been struggling with instead of wasting any more time trying to fix it myself. I live in the woods, at the end of the line, so my high speed DSL isn't always so high speed and it goes completely out every now and then, seems like more often in bad weather than good. I figured I had tried all that I could try and I would call the tech when their office opened at 8 a.m.. I waited and wrote.

I have learned to wait on the internet. I have learned to wait on many things. Everything does not always go as I plan. But, life continues. There is no sense to getting upset about something so minor and that we have no control over. There are so many things in this world that are so much worse than the internet not working or a television show or a computer game being disrupted. It can even be a good thing when we lose our connection with the world wide web from time to time.

Paul wrote to the Ephesians (4:1-3) "I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."  Here is Paul, in prison, begging the Ephesians to lead lives with humility, gentleness, and patience bearing with one another in love. Paul met his imprisonment not just with patience; but with joy that the Lord had opened many doors in that prison so that he could proclaim the Good News to those who would not otherwise hear.

Some of the things that we lose patience with are pretty trivial compared to the troubles others suffer in the world. It would be best to ignore these minor obstacles and just move on past or over them. Don't let them interfere with what God has called you to do. Take advantage of what might seem to be a hindrance; because, it just might be a door opening for you. 

Just as I finished the sermon at 7:30, the internet came back on all by itself.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: