Thursday, November 5, 2015

War or Peace?

A very strange dream woke me up a bit early this morning. I dreamed that I had been standing at the window looking out over the river and suddenly black military looking went screaming by. There was not just one or two of them; but, a crowd of them; a fleet that seemed to have no end. Very strange, I thought and woke up. Of course, I had to try to figure out why I would have a dream like that. I could not discern if the dream was about war or peace. Was I dreaming it because I sense impending danger or because of a feeling of security? I do not know. Every day brings something new. The world can be a dangerous place. The news is rarely good; but, yet, there is always hope.

Military boats and ships certainly have something to do with danger; especially, to the enemy. But, they are also there to bring security to the people they are commissioned to protect. Ultimately, they are to be used to bring about security and a sense of peace.

We can never really count on the state of the world's affairs to provide us with security and peace. But, there is one whom we can trust.

Answer me when I call, O God of my right!
    You gave me room when I was in distress.
    Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer.

There are many who say, “O that we might see some good!
    Let the light of your face shine on us, O Lord!”
You have put gladness in my heart
    more than when their grain and wine abound.
I will both lie down and sleep in peace;
    for you alone, O Lord, make me lie down in safety.
                                                      Psalm 4:1, 6-8 NRSV

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: