Sunday, November 22, 2015

Rising Son on Sunday Morning

(Original photo by Jane Moylan VanBuren)
"When the sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, so that they might go and anoint him. And very early on the first day of the week, when the sun had risen, they went to the tomb." Mark 16:1-2

It is a rare occasion when I am actually able to observe a sabbath on the Sabbath. Every now and then I will absolutely refuse to do anything on Saturday so that I can take a much needed rest. But, those times are rare. I infuse my days and weeks with hours of prayer so that I can rest and be renewed in God's presence.

Can you imagine the excitement of the women at the tomb on that first day of the week when they found that Jesus was risen? Even as the sun began to rise in the sky they found that the Son of Righteous had risen from the grave.

It will be a few hours before the sun rises this Sunday morning; on this first day of the week. But when it does rise, I will be off to worship. I will be off to an intentional hour of entering into God's presence; to witness the living presence of God in Christ Jesus through the Word and the Sacrament of Holy Communion. I will gather with the saints in Skanee on this first day of the week to celebrate that our Lord is risen. He is risen, indeed!

I pray that you will join me in this celebration at your local congregation wherever that might be.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: