Tuesday, June 12, 2012

1 Chronicles 14 - The Enemy Within

God has blessed David.  He has blessed him with more wives (David probably thought that was a blessing) and many sons and daughters.  God blessed David with the defeat of his enemies. 

David said, "God has broken through my enemies by my hand, like a bursting flood." (vs 13 ESV)  That verse reminds me of the Psalm (Psalm of David) 23:5  "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows." God has broken David's enemies before him.  Often though, I think that our enemies are not so much before us, but within us.  We can be our own worst enemy.  It's easy to blame others for our misfortunes.  It might even be inborn in us to do that.  Adam did it when he blamed Eve.  Or... maybe Adam was blaming God because he gave that woman to him.  Regardless of what Adam did, how often, when we get in a tight spot, do we blame others?  When in reality the enemy who caused the problems dwells within us. 

God blesses us greatly.  He breaks our enemies.  He breaks the enemy within us, so that He might live and dwell in us more fully.  It's a tough lesson when we have to learn it.  May God help us to learn it quickly so that we might enjoy the blessings that He has given us.

No comments: