Saturday, June 16, 2012

1 Chronicles 18 - Administer Justice or Kill the Enemy?

Another whole chapter about defeating enemies!  Now, I have nothing against the military; afterall, my husband spent 21 years in the USMC, and yes I was married to him the whole time.  But reading about all this conquering people does weary me.  It's hard to keep track of all the people David conquered there were so many.

The main point of this chapter, I think, is found in verse 14, "So David reigned over all Israel, and he administered justice and equity to all his people."  And, it was not just his people he protected, but verse 9 also points out that in doing so he also administered just for and protected the pepole of Hamath.  As awful as war is, sometimes war is necessary to protect and to administer justice to the people.  It is about protecting our neighbors and helping them wherever they may be. 

We pray for protection of our troops who are spread out around the world to protect not just the people of this country, but of countries around the globe.  We pray for the Commander in Chief, that he would make wise and just decisions that will not send out troops just to destroy the enemy, but to administer justice.

Ok... so I guess I need to admit a recent frustration, get it off my chest...  I am just a little upset (ok... maybe more than a little) over the recent news reports that the U.S. has been sending out drones (or whatever) to "hit" men - to kill our enemy.  (I try not to watch the news too regularly, if I can help it.)  If we know who they are and exactly where they are so that we can "bomb" them with precision; why aren't we putting a little more effort into capturing them?  Makes me a little nervous that our government thinks it is ok to concoct a list of people to "hit."  Where is the line between those we will kill and those we won't?  Who is next?  If this is acceptable, will there be a time when we begin thinking it is acceptable to start "precision bombing" (with low collateral damage) people in our own country rather than arresting them so they can be brought to trial and justice for all people served?  I think that maybe way back in our minds we've probably always known that this was being done.  But, for some reason I just didn't realize it was done on the scale it's allegedly is being done today.  If we have the capabilities of capturing "the enemy" then I just really have a hard time with seeing the justice in killing them in lieu of capturing them and questioning them, brining them to trial.  This is; afterall, not David's time and we do have capabilities, other options, that were not at his disposal.

No comments: