Tuesday, June 5, 2012

1 Chronicles 7 - Warriors and Women

They're counting warriors again and it seems to be a goodly number.  But, what's really puzzling me this mornng is why the mention of all the women in these lists of descendants? 

I have not quite figured out the reason scripture would record the females from Manasseh's household and their female descenedants.  I do get the importance (maybe?) of mentioning Sheerah of Ephraim's family.  These were nomadic people.  They lived in tents.  Before she was born, Ephraim's first sons had been killed by the men of Gath who had come to raid their livestock.  In order to better protect her family, she built something a bit more durable, more protective for her family and their possessions.  I can only surmise; maybe, buildings that were more durable and not made of cloth, and walls to keep the livestock a bit safer.  Scripture does not exactly say what it was she built or how or who else was involved; but it does say she built both Lower and Upper Bethhoron and Uzzen-sheerah.

The old testament doesn't usually lift up women. There are exceptions, though.  The exception of Sheerah is a good reminder how each of us use our God-given gifts to the glory of God, but also for the community we live in.  It doesn't matter who you are, you can use those gifts and talents you have to build up the world around you, to make it a more comfortable and peaceful (safe) place for all people to live in. 

It is a bit difficult to read genealogies.  I am never sure whose son or daughter someone is or if we talking about grandchildren.  I found this particulary true for me in the listing of the descendants of Manasseh.  I hope you are fairing better with that than me.  God's Peace... Judy

No comments: