Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Job 22 - Search Our Own Heart

Eliphaz makes some very good points here.  But, we don't know Job.  Even if we were there, we wouldn't truly know Job. Like Eliphaz, it's not our place to figure out why Job is enduring such hardship, but to help him in his time of need.  It not our place to judge Job.  We can't know Job, what is in his heart.  But, we can know ourselves.  Do we demand interest from our relatives, adding hardship to hardship?  Do we leave the hungry without food and the thirsty without water?  How are we treating the widow and orphan these days?  How are we helping?  How are we hindering?

At Zion, our annual Toys 4 Tots Concert will be held on the last Sunday of October.  We have so much fun at it - bringing toys and raising funds so that all of the children of Baraga County (one of the counties with highest unemployment in the country) will receive gifts this Christmas.  This will be our 10th Concert for the children.  In all that time, I have never seen or heard of any strife coming out of the concert or in the organizing of it.  It is, for those who participate (the music is great!) and attend, a joy to be able to reach out and give to the children. 

As we search our own hearts, and maybe our pasts.  When was it that you were most happy?  In giving?  In reaching out to others?  Or in serving yourself? It is not in our job descriptions to judge our neighbors.  We can only search our own hearts and following in the footsteps of Jesus reach out to our neighbors in need.

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."  (Matt 35:36 NIV)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: