Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Job 8 - Friends and Children

Now there's a slap in Job's face.  He has not suffered enough so his "friend" Bildad comforts him with these words:  "When your children sinned against him, he gave them over to the penalty of their sin."  (vs. 4 NIV) 

These words were spoken to the man who loved his children so much and worried about them so much that after his children had celebrations (feasts) together, would make arrangements for them to be purified. He sacrificed a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, “Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” (Job 1:5)

Now, I don't know about you... but, I tend to go on the defensive (actually more like the offensive) when anyone points out my children's or grandchildren's faults to me. I know my children and grandchildren, probably better than they think I do.  I know they are not perfect any more than I am perfect.  I pray for each of them daily, usually more often than that.  But, go ahead and make accusations about them to me and you will see fire in my eyes.  That is a guarantee!  Can't help it.  It is within human nature to act like a mother bear when people I love are attacked and from my experience that is how most parents react.

So, when I hear about this man, Job, suffering the loss of all that he had, including his physical health, being told by his friend, that God gave his children over to the penalty of their sin, implying that is why they died, well... it just makes me a little more than uncomfortable. 

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"  (Matt 7:3)   

May God help us to have a greater understanding of our own inability to do what is right and that is to love God above all things and our neighbor as ourselves.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: