Thursday, September 6, 2012

Job 4 - Sit in Silence

Eliphaz' words are a reminder, to me, this morning that maybe, if we truly want to help, we will keep our mouths shut and either listen or sit in silence with our friends.  Just be there for them.  In fact, Eliphaz and Job's other friends had just sat there for seven days in silence.  But, when he opened his mouth, it was just garble.  I'm not sure if the way to comfort a friend is to encourage discouragement.

So many times when I have been trying to comfort someone, I have wondered if I was actually helping or making things worse for them.  It is way too easy to get caught up in the negative and bring them even further down than they were when I got there.

Sometimes, the best thing one can do is to be still - say nothing - do nothing - except to be there for them - to walk beside them (silently praying) in their days of trouble.

God's Peace - Pr. J

 

No comments: