Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Are We Prepared?

Moon Rising
Last evening my husband alerted me to look out the window and get my camera. He could not tell if Skanee was on fire or if the moon was rising. There was a bright red glow on the horizon over Skanee. It truly looked like a huge fire burning.

I grabbed my camera bags and after a few failed attempts with the Canon Rebel decided to use the Canon EOS 5D. Better; but, not great. The EOS 5D is so heavy, even without the battery pack, that the moon was nothing but a blur. I set up the tripod and connected the camera to it. That worked even a little better. But, by that time the moon no longer looked like fire in the sky.

I love photography; but, truth be told, I am never prepared. I do not know enough about the cameras. I do not practice enough. I keep them packed away in their bags and they are never handy when I want them.

I love Jesus even more so he is a much higher priority for me than photography. Much more of my time is spent praying and studying the word found in the scriptures and attempting to do God's will than worrying whether my cameras are ready in case a great shot presents itself. But, I do wonder sometimes if I am really prepared for him. Just as the ten bridesmaids did not put oil in their lamps preparation for the groom to come and get them for the wedding (Matt 25:1-13), I wonder if we are prepared for the day he returns to take us to himself.

St. Peter encouraged us to "... prepare your minds for action; discipline yourselves; set all your hope on the grace that Jesus Christ will bring you when he is revealed. Like obedient children, do not be conformed to the desires that you formerly had in ignorance."  1 Peter 1:13-14

Are we prepared?

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: