Thursday, October 1, 2015

Unbelievably Sad

My heart throbs, my strength fails me;
    as for the light of my eyes—it also has gone from me.
My friends and companions stand aloof from my affliction,
    and my neighbors stand far off.

Those who seek my life lay their snares;
    those who seek to hurt me speak of ruin,
    and meditate treachery all day long.
Psalm 38:10-12 NRSV
 
I find myself unbelievably saddened today. I am sad because you are sad.

It never fails to astound me how quickly people who say they care will turn against someone or even desert them when someone is being afflicted. Instead of helping and supporting their "friends and companions," they turn on them much like Job's friends turned on him when he was afflicted. They turn on them and dessert them in their time of need and in doing so they hurt, even further, the one who is hurting.
 
I wish that I could help them in their loneliness. I am always willing to be there to listen. However, not everyone wants their pastor to care; after all, that's what pastors do: care for the afflicted. Sometimes people need more people than just their pastor. Most of us have probably been, at one time or another, in that place where it seems like there is no one left who cares about us. I have come to know the one who is always there for you... His name is Jesus. He is always with you. Talk to him. Hear his gentle voice: Be not troubled. Be not afraid. My peace I give to you. (John 14:27)
 
God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: