Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Rainbow of Promise

I have been listening to "Over the Rainbow" by Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwoʻole for a couple of days as I have been praying about and preparing a funeral service for a beloved lady from the community.

Iz was thirty-eight when he died in 1997. He had suffered many health problems during his life. But, his music, especially this song, was filled with hope and with life. His music lives on.

I have officiated at near three hundred funerals or memorials since beginning service to the Lord here in Baraga County. They do not get easier. In fact, as each year passes and I grow even closer to the community, they get harder to prepare for. I grieve with the families and friends. I grieve to see them grieve.

There is only one place that I know that I or anyone can go to in times like this to find comfort and reassurance. Only, at the feet of Jesus, can we find comfort and hope as we hear the promise of that place that he has gone to prepare for us; the promise of a home that is not shrouded by the dark skies; but, shines with the glorious light and love of God for all who believe.

May God grant comfort and peace to all who grieve as you receive the promise of eternal life through Jesus Christ, our Lord.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: