Thursday, October 8, 2015

Salty Grace

Season grace with salt.
Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. Col 4:5-7

I overheard my granddaughter tell some that if they got salty with her, she would get salty with them. I haven't heard someone use that word in conversation in a few decades. I'm thinking she meant over the top. Words have a way of changing their meaning over time. When I grew up, salty meant something like to be tough or unmovable in a rugged sort of way.

Salt is good in the appropriate amount for the occasion. A lot of salt is needed to move a pesky ant hill. Not so much salt is needed to flavor food. Salt poured on a wound might sting; but, it helps in the healing process.

It does not hurt to be a little salty. Always full of only grace is no grace at all, as my former mentor and teacher, Dr. Karl Keljo, often reminded me.  Being a bit salty is a good thing. But, just as only grace can do damage; so can being overly salty.

May God grant us the wisdom to know how much salt we should or should not use to season our conversations with others.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: