Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Discipline Yourselves; Keep Alert

Discipline yourselves; keep alert.
"Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you. Discipline yourselves, keep alert. Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour. Resist him, steadfast in your faith, for you know that your brothers and sisters in all the world are undergoing the same kinds of suffering." 1 Peter 5:7-9 NRSV

There are some in family who would object to my vigilance. They think that I am too cautious because I look past what I see at first glance to what is really going on around us. I like to know who the people really are that are involved in their lives. Facebook, just as it is used by many employers to see who it is that they are really hiring, can be a very useful tool for parents and grandparents. I use this tool because I am well aware that sometimes the adversary might come like a roaring lion and sometimes the adversary comes dressed in sheep's clothing. Even wolves in sheep's clothing can be recognized if we know what we are looking for; if we know God's word and discipline ourselves to follow it. I like to know and be prepared for any attacks that my come against my loved ones (that includes all the people I serve).

There are wars all around us. Some of them are plainly seen. The wars being fought in the unseen realms are not so easily discerned. Often, people are not even aware that they are being attacked. They are won over to the enemies side without even being aware of it. The adversary knows his enemy. He knows us. He knows what desires and temptations will crumble us.

The more that we discipline ourselves to know the word of God, the more alert we will be to recognize the adversary when he attacks. Discipline yourself in the word. Read the Holy Scriptures daily; hear His word proclaimed at Worship; and then discipline yourselves, to follow the Word, who is Jesus the Christ and you will have no need to fear the adversary.

May the Lord keep you from the adversary; even as He keeps you in the Word.

God's Peace - Pr. Judy

No comments: