Monday, December 28, 2015

Clean Hearts

"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me." Psalm 51:10 NRSV

Yesterday was a definite day of rest! Both my mind and body crashed after two days of driving, one of them in bumper to bumper traffic. As it was Sunday and I was not at home to worship with my own congregation, I attended worship at one of those large praise type services with my granddaughter and daughter-in-law. The sermon was pretty good. The music was a little loud for this old Lutheran. But, it did bring back memories of one of my mentors, Pr. Al Goodrich. The opening and closing praise song was something about giving your heart to Jesus. Pr. Al loved it when people would talk about giving their hearts to Jesus. His response would be, "Why would Jesus want that filthy thing! Jesus wants to give you a clean heart!"

Christmas and Christianity is not about what we can give to God; but, what God has already done and given for us. We celebrate because God is indeed willing and able to create in us clean hearts. We are not Christians because of what we have done; but, because of what God has done for us. Thanks be to God for His good and gracious gifts!

Merry Christmas!

God's Peace Pr. J

No comments: