Monday, December 7, 2015

Retired and Living Life!

Howard and his trike in Beaufort, SC
photo taken by son, John Arthur Mattson
"What gain have the workers from their toil? I have seen the business that God has given to everyone to be busy with. He has made everything suitable for its time; moreover he has put a sense of past and future into their minds, yet they cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end. I know that there is nothing better for them than to be happy and enjoy themselves as long as they live..." Eccl 3:9-12

Live life!  I can't even begin to count how many times I have told people to live life; enjoy life! I believe some think, "who is she kidding? She's a Christian and a pastor. What can she know about fun?"  My fun may not be like a lot of people's idea of fun; but, I do know about enjoying life; about enjoying the numberless gifts that God has given me.

My husband retired for the second time this past summer. He has not quite reached the normal retirement age. But, he has worked hard for a long time. Most of his years have been "on call" twenty-four hours a day and seven days a week as his first career was as a U.S. Marine and his second career was as owner/administrator of an adult foster care home. So, I finally convinced him that it was time to retire and enjoy life; to take time for himself. He has taken a few vacations since then. He is enjoying life. I know that he also took pleasure in the work that he did; but, now is his time to live life; to take the time to more fully enjoy the gifts that God has given him.

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.." Eccl 3:1

It is time to truly live life!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: