Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Let Your Speech Be Gracious

Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." Col 4:6

Each morning, I spend a few minutes reading the news online. I don't usually turn on the television because I do not like to start my day listening to commentators who do not know how to be gracious. I do not like to start my day listening to any politician or their supporters who season their speech with way too much salt and who have no clue what the words tact or graciousness mean. Listening to or reading words that show a lack of understanding of how to communicate an idea or fact really just makes for a bad start to my day. So, I pick and choose even what I will read in the mornings.

Each morning as I read the news, I stumble across at least a few errors in grammar, spelling, facts, etc.. Because of these errors false information is often given. I know and confess that I make an awful lot of grammatical and spelling errors in these daily blogs that I write. I am also not always the most tactful. I do not have an editor. I write like I speak and consequently mistakes are made. I am not a professional writer. I spend very little time in writing these blogs as they are a hobby and it is not what I've been called to do (even though some are beginning to think that it is). I do not make a living writing these blogs. However, professional reporters and editors who are paid to communicate the news to us, I believe, ought to actually edit what they are writing before they print it so that the news is communicated to us accurately and without attempts to shove their personal bias' down our throats.

Communicating properly is a gift that is greatly needed in our news media, indeed the world. Yes, a little salt in the news is a good thing. But, a little more graciousness would help others to hear and understand more clearly.  

May God help us all to be a bit more gracious when we open our mouths or place our fingers on a keyboard in attempts to communicate ideas or facts.

God's Peace - Pr. J

P.S. Just wondering how many grammatical errors I just made...

No comments: