Thursday, December 24, 2015

Television A Necessity?

Lately, about the only thing I have been watching on television are reruns of Mother Angelica. That's because I really haven't been able to find anything else worth watching. I woke up this morning and turned the television on so I could listen to some news and no satellite connection; so, no television. I often wonder why we waste the money on television. Oh, yes, I remember: football and no it is not me who watches football.

I don't watch too much television. I usually read the news online. Just about every time I sit down to watch something on television I think about the amount of money spent on this mindless entertainment.

I know more than a few people who are and have been unemployed for more than a year and no longer receive unemployment compensation. They are no longer counted in our lowering unemployment rates either. They are having a very difficult time putting groceries on the table; heating their homes; paying their rent or mortgages as others of us throw a hundred dollars a month away to watch blank television screens, football for a season, and reruns of Mother Angelica. I do find her interesting; but, not that interesting. It is not that I feel so guilty. It is more like disgusted. On the eve of the celebration of our Saviour's birth, when so many are struggling to keep shelter over their and their children's heads; when there are so many homeless in this country of such great wealth, how do we reconcile the extreme extravagance? I won't talk about the extreme amounts spent on cell phones this morning in order to "keep up with the Jones'." I, along with so many others, really must confess that I am not the steward of God's gifts that I could be.

I am; however, most grateful today and every day for all that God has given me. But, this Christmas Eve, I am praying for employment for the unemployed so that they might not have to worry over having enough for the very basics of life.

Heavenly Father, give all in need of gainful employment the means to provide their families with their daily bread.

God's Peace - Pr. J

P.S. The wind just changed direction so the satellite signal is back on.

No comments: