Tuesday, July 10, 2012

2 Chronicles 14 - Strange gods

Asa did what was right in the sight of God.  He got rid of all the altars that were used to worship strange gods.  And... the land had rest!

If that's all that it takes to have rest - to have peace - in the land, why can't the land be rid of strange gods.   I'm all for it!  I have to admit that these past few years out on the eastern side of Baraga County, I have known more rest, more peace, than I've known most of my life.  Although, they still are there; it seems there are relatively fewer false gods than in most places I've lived.  Well,  I guess I have to take that back.  As busy as I was, I also knew quite a bit of rest and peace when I lived in Gay, MI and in Rota, Spain, as well as Jacksonville, NC.  They were chaotic times, but there was also rest.  But, still, none of these places afforded me the opportunty, the time, to really give thanks to God and to Worship Him, as I have experienced the last few years.  It's not there is not turmoil around me.  But, the turmoil caused by the false gods around me, are not able to invade my space, my life, as they were when I was living in the midst of people who bowed to strange gods.

I am in North Carolina this morning.  I remember returning here to live many years ago and thinking, as the plane landed:  I will die in this place. It was a good thought, but probably not going to happen. It is a beautiful state and I do miss it at times. As we were driving down here this week, I was thinking what a beautiful country we live in.  Every state is so awesome!  How blessed we are.  I wonder then, if the rest I know comes with age... Has it come to me as I've grown older because with each year the strange gods have revealed to me how false they really are and I've managed to ignore or get rid of them from my life.

Don't know.... just musing...  I do know that when we keep the strange gods out of our lives, our lives go a lot smoother and the  people of the land will know rest and have peace.





No comments: