Monday, July 30, 2012

2 Chronicles 34 - Death as a Blessing

Now this is an interesting blessing:  "Now I will gather you to your ancestors, and you will be buried in peace. Your eyes will not see all the disaster I am going to bring on this place and on those who live here."  (34:28 NIV)

Death is the blessing; death before Josiah has to see the devastation that the sin of others will bring upon the people whom he loves and serves.  To see those whom we love, suffer, is a horrible burden.  It is something most of us would prefer not to witness or endure.  It is especially painful when it is your children or grandchildren who suffer.  And for faithful Josiah, his blessing from God is that he will not live long enough to witness the consequences of Judah's sins.

Death is something most of us really want to avoid.  But, not all.  I've heard it said that everyone is afraid of death.  I do not believe that.  We love life here in this world.  But, there are some of us who look forward to the peace that will come in the kingdom of God.  We are tired of seeing the pain and suffering of loved ones, of the world.  Death does not have victory over us.  However, we will continue with an intent not unlike that of St. Paul as he wrote to the Phillipians (1:20-26): 
     "I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.   For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!  I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me."

Paul too counted death as a blessing.  But, he also knew that it was all up to the will of God.  There was still the gospel to proclaim to a suffering world and he could not/would not depart his body just because he was tired and wanted to live in Christ's eternal presence.  He would not choose what was for his benefit, but rather that which would benefit the whole Body of Christ.

No comments: