Sunday, July 15, 2012

2 Chronicles 19 - Peace With The LORD

"... You are to warn them not to sin against the LORD."  (19:10)  And... guess what?  Those who do warn others, will not be liked much!  Every now and then I will get asked to do something, that's not particularly in line with putting God first.  Actually, it's more like putting myself (and my personal desires for myself) before God and when my response is no, they look at me utterly astonished as though there is something wrong with me.  You see, there is this misperception that because I at least attempt to know what God desires and what He doesn't, I don't know how to have fun. 

I'm pretty sure that when they ask me to participate in something that I am pretty sure is not something I should be participating in, they not only hear my no, but, they also see my face and my non-verbal response to their question.  And, I feel bad for them because it appears to me that if that's what fun is for them; then, they don't know how to have fun! 

I simply do not know how one can relay that there is nothing more fun, more pleasurable, than having a relationship with God.  And... if you're in relationship with someone then you do what is pleasing to them.  You try to make them happy.  They come first. 

Jehoshaphat appointed judges over the people and told them to be careful how they judged, not according to any human partiality, not to favor one over the other, that their judgements should be equal and just according to God's law.   He told them:  "Now let the fear of the Lord be on you. Judge carefully, for with the Lord our God there is no injustice or partiality or bribery.”  We are all to be treated equal, because one is a friend or a brother or sister, does not mean we should not warn them because we don't want to lose them.  Because one is an enemy, that does not mean their sentence should be harsher than the one whom we know well.

How many times in our court systems do we see this happening?  The enemy (or those whom we don't know so well) are judged and sentenced much harsher than the one's whose father or mother are well known and liked in the town?  Equality... it really is suppose to be for everyone. 

And... everyone deserves to be warned so that they will have the opportunity to live in peace with the LORD.

No comments: