Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Psalm 24 - Founded It Upon The Seas!

"For He has founded it upon the seas, And established it upon the waters." (vs 2)

As I was cleaning house last night, I had the television on.  I don't remember which cop show was on, but someone had quoted John F. Kennedy, "We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea -- whether it is to sail or to watch it -- we are going back from whence we came."

Some of us seem to have more affinity with water than others.  I'm not sure why. I have always been drawn to water.  Maybe, it's because my parents both loved to fish and we spent a lot of time at different lakes or rivers or creeks, fishing and picnicking.  They, too, were drawn to the water.  I, for whatever reason, actually feel homeless when I am not living near it.  The larger the body of water, the more at peace that I feel.  I think that it is in part due to the fact that the water reminds me of being washed in the waters of baptism as well as the many other stories from scripture that relates to being washed clean in various ways by water.  Water reminds me who God is.  Those larger bodies of water remind me of the power of God.  Storms on the sea can be devastating to human life and to all the rest of creation, as Hurricane Sandy recently reminded us.  But, there is one who is larger than these storms on the sea.  One who is even more powerful.  That One is our LORD.  He is the creator of all that.  He founded the earth upon the seas.  He is the One who established it upon the waters.  It is the creator and not the sea that we should be in awe of.  This piece  of His creation (the waters) is just a reminder of who God is.  He is the King of Glory!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: