Saturday, November 17, 2012

Psalm 35 - Prayer of Protection

When the little children come to the altar for a blessing, one of the prayers I find myself praying for them most often is for their protection.  Sometimes, we underestimate their fears.  Sometimes, we even underestimate the actuality of those fears. I pray that God would walk beside them protecting them all their days and I pray that He would grant them courage and peace.

Looking back to what I remember as a child, I remember a lot of fear.  Some of it was legitimate.  Most of it was not.  Most of it was just being afraid of the unknown.  There is a lot of "unknown" for little children.  They will learn to face many of their fears or simply outgrow them.  In the meantime, we pray for their protection, their courage, and for them to know God's peace.

I can't even begin to imagine what the fear of the enemy is like for children growing up in countries,  where they are dodging missiles.  But, they need our prayers.

Protect your children, O LORD.  Keep them safe from all evil, harm, and danger.

Lord, you have seen this; do not be silent. Do not be far from them, Lord. Awake, and rise to their defense! Contend for them, our Lord and our God.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: