Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Psalm 31 - Worthless Idols

I went to bed last night and woke again this morning thinking about the worthless idols that people whom I love worship.  It is very sad to know that rather than God, people that I care about would worship these inanimate objects.  Even sadder is the fact that they don't realize that they are doing this, so there is no repentance.  They cannot change until they see the light. 

I have been told more times than I can count: "I believe. That is enough."  But, what do you believe?  Do you believe that the money you're trying to win gambling online is going to save you?  It's more likely to bury you.  And... even if you do win, will it really bring you happiness?  Why do you waste the hours, the days, the life that God has given you to such worthless pursuits? Do you really believe that the drugs (even if they are legal prescriptions) and the alcohol are going to bring you peace?  What's up with that, anyway?  Has all sense departed this world?

God has given us and continues to give us an abundance of gifts. But, we set them aside to pursue things of this world.  What's up with that?

David wrote in the Psalm today:  "I hate those who cling to worthless idols; as for me, I trust in the Lord."  (vs 6 NIV) Unlike David, I do not hate those who cling to worthless idols.  Rather, I pray for those who have fallen into the trap of worshipping them, to their own demise.  They will not know peace until they turn to the LORD.  And... living without the peace of God is not a place I'd wish upon anyone.

May God help us all to worship the one true God and receive the blessings He has so richly given us through Jesus Christ, our LORD and Saviour. 

How abundant are the good things that God has stored up for those who fear Him, that He bestows in the sight of all, on those who take refuge in Him! (vs 19)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: