Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Psalm 39 - Death is Inevitable

 “Show me, Lord, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is." (vs 4 NIV)

I don't know about you, but I never have to ask the LORD to remind me how fleeting life is.  I am reminded every day. From the moment I get up every morning when I wonder why and thank God that He has given me another day to my evening prayers when I once again thank Him for getting me through another day.

Reminders of the inevitability of death are all around.  They are in the people we talk to.  Those whom we minister to.  I am a co-owner of an adult foster care.  Just being with the people in our care is also can be a reminder of how fleeting and fragile life is.  Watching the children around me grow up so very quickly, reminds me how short the time from beginning to end is.  From baptism to marriage takes no time at all!  Life is very short.  I don't need God to tell me that.  I can see with my eyes how very quickly time passes. 

We can either be sad about it and rush around trying to get all that there is stuffed into our very short time in this world. We can spend all of our days in vain rushing about, heaping up wealth without knowing whose it will finally be. (vs 6)  Or... we can rejoice that God has given us this opportunity to get to know and love one another, using the gifts He has given us to proclaim the Good News of His Kingdom.  We could spend these years taking advantage of the opportunity and time that God has given us to grow together and to do that growing in Him.

Life in this world is short.  But, for those who believe, we are timeless.  We have inherited eternal life, not in this world, but in the Kingdom, the presence of God.  Our hope lies in Him. (vs 7)

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: