Sunday, December 2, 2012

Psalm 50: I Paid My Dues - Not!

"I paid my dues."  That was the response I received, years ago, from an elderly woman, when I asked her if I could pick her up for worship.  She had been a member of at least the church on earth for 80 plus years.  She no longer drove.  I thought that being able to worship our LORD, with her brothers and sisters in Christ, would be something she would want to do.  But, no.  Her response was I have done my duty.  "I paid my dues."

How anyone could attend Worship for that many years and not understand that there are no dues to pay is beyond me.  There are no dues!  Christ paid it all for us, with His blood.  We worship out of thanksgiving, not because if we do, we will magically get to rise again once we die.  We worship not out of fear of death, but out of love and thanksgiving to a God who has already saved us.  We give thanks because God paid our dues and we have no need to fear death, but look forward to eternal life in Christ. 

You cannot pay your own dues.  That is the bottom line.  God does not expect sacrifices to appease Him.  Our offerings are not payment.  They are or should be from a grateful heart. 

"Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the Most High." (Psalm 50:14 NIV)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: